Summer camps for children are more than just experiencing roasted marshmallows and exchanging stories over bonfire under the light of the moon and stars. Summer camps today are as innovative as they can be in honing children’s desires, dreams, and attitude. It teaches them how to be independent at a young age and bring out their best abilities.
Summer camps teach children lot of things that cannot be learned at home or at school. Children get the chance to be excited on making it on their own with some distance from their parents. They get to pack their bags, travel with other kids, and sleep in a place quite far from their home. These are what get children excited and eager to go to summer camps.
From a summer camp’s point of view, they want these kids to be excited in order for them to fully integrate learning into the summer programs.
The Different Types of Summer Camp
Parents cannot fully understand the benefits of summer camps unless you know the different types. Through this, parents can determine which summer camp is right for the child. Here are the different types of summer camps today:
- Agency Summer Camp – This type usually includes sports and outdoor living activities and is run by an agency operated by a board of directors. The summer camp follows traditional instructions established by the board.
- Day Summer Camp – These camps run from early morning to night only. Counselors have a variety of activities to keep the kids busy from morning until evening when they are picked up by their parents.
- Faith-Based Summer Camp – This type focuses mostly on religion as the name suggests. However, they are incorporated in the summer camp activities in the most subtle manner.
- Family Summer Camp – This is probably the most fun type of summer camp as the whole family gets to participate in the summer camp activities. It is the perfect opportunity for busy parents to bond with their children, catch up on lost moments, and try on different things together.
- Girl Scout Summer Camp – This is probably the longest running summer camp in history. This is a girls-exclusive camp with the main goal of promoting women growth. Activities include arts, crafts, cooking, outdoor adventures, waterfront activities, and even rope courses.
- Private/Independent Summer Camp – This is known as the more expensive summer camp. Parents who have attended such camps usually continue the tradition of sending their kids to the same exclusive summer camp because of their high socio-economic background.
- Special Needs Summer Camp – This is a place where children with disabilities get to have fun and not risk being laughed at. Counselors have undergone special training to accommodate the children’s needs and encourage their growth as a normal human being.
- Underprivileged Summer Camp – This type caters to the underprivileged kids of the community including those who are on a scholarship or attending public schools. This benefits the families who cannot afford camp tuition or fee.
Summer camps have always been a good experience for children. If you have attended one as a kid, then you know what we are talking about. If you were not lucky enough to experience it, do not deprive your child of this wonderful experience.
Summer camps are known to boost a child’s confidence and let them gain resiliency while keeping them physically active. In real life, these are all the qualities all parents wish their children to develop and summer camps are perfect opportunities to develop these positive personality traits.