Blueberries are not only mouth-watering fruits you’d love to add to your morning cereal, but more importantly, they are superfoods jam-packed with vitamins and minerals.
How to Get Started
To get started, you can choose to grow your blueberries in pots or on the ground. The following tips should be kept in mind when growing blueberries.
1. There are three major blueberry varieties – the low bush, high bush, and rabbit-eye.
2. Blueberries love slightly acidic soils or around a pH of 5.5. Planting them in pots give you better control over the soil pH.
3. Since blueberries have shallow roots, they also love moisture. Growing blueberries in large pots will allow the roots to absorb more water.
4. Planting several varieties of blueberries will give you a better yield as well as a longer fruiting season.
5. Pruning the first few years may not be necessary, but it becomes essential as the plant grows older.
Whether you’re growing blueberries for your own consumption or simply want to liven up the garden with edible ornamentals, these plants are sure to have you singing the blues.